Saturday, January 19, 2008

Learning mathematics

I've been doing the Glenn Doman How to Teach Your Baby Mathprogram.

It's supposed to be for babies and toddlers under 30 months, but since I hadn't learned my numerals yet (1, 2, 3 or I, II, III, etc.) we were lucky enough that I was still able to do it.

With these dot flash cards, I am actually able to perceive true quantity without counting. For instance, I can tell that this card I'm holding has thirty dots, not twenty nine or thirty one. I don't like being tested ("Can you tell me how many dots you see?") but I don't mind demonstrating my skills by picking out which ones which - you hold up two cards, say twenty nine and thirty, and ask me "Where's thirty Hunter?" I can tell you.

It is an amazing ability. I am also able to do this with any other thing, for instance, when Mommy showed me a new book she made with different numbers of cars on each page, and asked me "Where's fifteen?" I knew it right away. I'm not just memorizing patterns on the dots, I can actual see the true amount of items without having to count!

This is a very exciting program. I am currently working on addition and will soon be moving to subtraction, multiplication, and division. We'll see how it goes!

"Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered."
Psalm 40:5


No comments: